Thursday, January 14, 2016


I don’t really know what I want to do with my life. My ambitions are simple. I want to live a life with the people I care about. I want to build lasting memories and make the most of my time. I really enjoy learning, otherwise I’m sure I would have just found a career. That is not to say that I don’t hope to attain a worthwhile career utilizing my time and efforts in college. However, even though I am pursuing an education, the end goal is simply to earn a degree that will enable me to live comfortably. Money has never been a major priority for me. I would just like to be comfortable and have access to what little luxuries I desire.
My past is lined with jobs involving being around people, though to say that my passion is helping others is not entirely true. I have a customer service background, as far as work is concerned. This I attribute to flexibility and laid back environments. I have tried the factory route and know that, for me, it is stifling. With customer service, each day I meet new people, experience new things. However, I wouldn’t say that customer service is my passion. My passion is lost on me. What I truly crave is social enlightenment, freedom and joy, fun and experience. I am getting older, which can sometimes feel daunting. Although I am a self-sufficient individual, and am grateful for much in my life, I sometimes worry that my time spent is leading me to an outcome of unfulfilled time. I am a positive person, usually capable of seeing the brighter side in many things. I also take a great deal of joy from the little things in life, perhaps insignificant joys of living. I don’t necessarily hope to leave little more than that, but I also don’t want to take for granted the beauty that is experienced in trivial events.

To reflect on current events, everyone is surely aware that the lottery drawing is a big one. I was asked what I would do were I to win. I think I would build a house, try my hand at carpentry, read as much as I could, invite friends and family over often. I would definitely enjoy designing and customizing my home. I would offer to my loved ones fulfillments of their own. Outside of that, I don’t think that I would do much in the way of altruism. I would likely lead a simple life, spent pursuing simple joys. I would try my hand at different skills, not necessarily to excel in, but rather just to enjoy. I think that I would greatly appreciate a view. I don’t really have any ambition to change the world. I just want the time to enjoy being a part of it. I suppose when I was younger my dreams were loftier. I’d sure get a kick out of running a radio program, or discovering and working toward some hidden talent in the arts or music. I’d enjoy customizing and designing a living space without constriction. But all of these things seem more to me now to be life’s little luxuries, ways to pass the time with joy and fulfillment. Really, sharing my life with the people I care about is what is most important to me. And I don’t really need to win the lottery for that, anyway. All of the goals that I currently hold don’t require much money at, beyond sustaining the typical financial needs that we all share. I think that I am in college more for the chance to learn about new things and meet new people than I am for the pursuit of wealth. Not that it wouldn’t be great, it just isn’t that important to me.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy the creative exercise of "what would I do with $X,000,000?" I have several friends who are homeless or near homeless, so I think I would set up an allowance for them to have a small guaranteed income over several years. One near-homeless friend has benefactor who does this to help out while they work on finishing their GED. It's really difficult to maintain employment without a high school diploma, especially if the reason you don't have the diploma is your parents were religious fundamentalists who refused to educate you. Well this is going off in a depressing direction... but yes, having the basics and avoiding materialism is my life's philosophy as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify when you say that you don't really know what you want to do with your life. I've been floating for the last 31 years, I think. I worried about it for a long time, then decided that worrying about it was a waste. I figure, as wildly ridiculous as this may sound, that money is a near infinite resource of which we can always acquire more. Yes, this is oversimplification, but I fully believe it. Besides, I can survive on very little of the stuff. Anyway, that's my quick two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that living simple is good and I myself do not need tons of money to live happily and comfortably.

    ReplyDelete